Rac car badge dating


Mounted onto members’ cars from the early days, the RAC badges became something of a status symbol, particularly because at the time, automobiles were mostly owned by wealthier Western Australians. The distinctive badge was also the only way an RAC member could be identified.

The first badge, featuring WA's black swan, was produced in 1910 and became an instant hit with members. The swan remained even after the badge was changed in 1915 when RAC became affiliated with the Royal Automobile Club of England, much to the delight of members.

Given the status of the badges, leaving it on a vehicle when selling it often made the car more attractive to the buyer. In 1916 the club cracked down on rogue RAC badge-toting cars driving Perth streets.

Keen to show off its royal affiliations, the badge design was changed in 1950 to a chrome diamond shape incorporating the King's crown on top, the letters RAC in the centre, and an anodised blue backing plate. This style of badge remained in use until as late as 1990 when the last RAC badge, a small barrel-shaped type, was introduced and designed for bolting onto vehicle registration plates.

Metallic RAC badges are no longer made, mainly due to the changes in car design, which no longer have 'badge bars' included for club badges.

 

  • Back to top
Thanked by 1 Member: #4 OFFLINE   dieselnutjob dieselnutjob
gadoni.info